It’s that time of year again. The 4th Annual Philly Spring Cleanup is just around the corner! The city-wide cleanup will be heldon Saturday, April 2 beginning at 9 a.m. This is the 3rd year W Rockland Street is participating. Our first year was an huge success. Tons of neighbors came out to give the block a Spring cleaning and a group of students from Drexel University helped us to clean the vacant lots on the block, which were total dumping grounds at the time. Our second year, was even better! More neighbors got involved and student volunteers from St. John’s University, brought to us by organizers at St. Francis of Assisi Parish, came all the way from New York to pitch in.
2011 is here and we have bigger and better plans for transforming our vacant lots into permanent green space. Looking to get involved? Volunteer for our cleanup project! Register online here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
W Rockland Street Cleanup and Lot Transformation Project
We have no funding, nor do we work with any partner organizations. Our group is comprised of a handful of block home-owners working to implement much needed change in our community.
Goals for the 2011 Spring Cleanup:
- Clean up all 3 vacant lots (minor cleaning compared to previous years!)
- Install garden beds in the largest vacant lot of the 3.
- Install fences in order to help curb future illegal dumping issues – all 3 lots.
- Cleanup and beautify our own homes and yards.
- Cleanup the street and sidewalk areas along the entire block.
- Work with our neighbors to cleanup in front of vacant houses (there are several).
- Work with our neighbors to assist the elderly in cleaning up their properties.
- Say no to litter and illegal dumping! Respect our neighbors. Make Rockland Street a beautiful, trash free and safe place to live for all residents!
Future Goals for W Rockland Street:
- Following our initial cleanup, we hope to continue hosting regular cleanups.
- We would like to have the entire sidewalk and curbs redone on both sides of the street.
- We would like to have trees planted on the block in vacant lots and along the sidewalk. (Is it possible to get trees from the city?)
- We want to make Rockland Street clean and beautiful and keep it that way.